Monday, January 23, 2012

We Discovered A New Fruit!


OK, not really. We’ve had star fruit before, maybe alongside a salad or in a fruit tarte. And we had some in Maui where they grow bigger than grapefruit. But here, they have huge trees with gazillions of star fruit on them. So what do you do with them?

A google search does not bring up many star fruit recipes, let me just tell ya. I found one for dried star fruit chips, and since I had a bushel of these things I thought I would try it.  (Normally at this time of year we were eating chili and trying to stay warm, now we’re out picking fruit in shorts and flip flops).

The recipe says to mix 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar and bring to a boil. Then take off the heat and put the fruit in for 15 minutes. Then drain for 15 minutes. Then pop into the oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour.
So here they are in all their glory. 

I was so proud of my little star fish looking concoction. Then Mr. Lane declared that they taste just like raisins. And now that he said that, they do.

I’m wondering if this can be done with other fruit. Like quince. Isn’t quince a fruit? But I think with any fruit they would shrink a lot. And they would still taste like raisins.

2 comments:

  1. Those starfruit slices appear to have died an agonizing death by convection. It looks like they tried, and failed, to escape "The Rack".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true. They shriveled up like raisins. Aside from a garnish, I can't come up with a way to utilize them all. Starfruit marmalade anyone?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always love feedback on what my readers (like you) are thinking.