Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bedding Terminology

Our bedroom is our most private retreat in our home as it is the one place we can call our own. When it comes to this intimate space, there are certain luxuries that a person should try to indulge in and bedding is one of them. Good bedding can provide a more tailored look for your bedroom, give you that upscale hotel feel, and make it feel so good to climb into bed at night. 

Do you know the difference between a blanket or throw? What about a duvet or comforter? If you don't know a duvet from a comforter, how will you know what to ask for this Christmas? Below is a general glossary of some bedding terminology. At least this way, you will understand what you are buying/asking for.

Common Bedding Glossary/Terminology
Bed-in-a-bag – packaged collection of bedding essentials that typically includes flat and fitted sheets, two standard pillowcases and a comforter. Be sure to check thread count, as these sets are often less than 250 and can be scratchy.

Bedskirt/Dust ruffle – decorative accessory of fabric that hangs to the floor to visually conceal area under bed where you hide all the big stuff. Comes in either tailored style with corner pleats, or gathered for a more feminine touch. Newer bed styles have a fabric covered platform so that a bedskirt is not needed.
Comforter – bed cover made with filling that is placed over bed sheets and blankets to cover them and the top of the bedskirt/dust ruffle.

Coverlet – topical lightweight bed cover (typically quilted in pattern such as "matelasse") that is best used during warmer months, or under a fluffier/heavier comforter

Decorativepillow/Accent pillow – decorative accessory for the bed to enhance styleand bring together colors, not used for sleeping

Down – feathery fill that is soft and used inside comforters. Down alternatives are similar in concept, but use synthetic materials. Check for thread count of covering so that you don’t feel the sharp end of quills poking you.

Duvet – removable cover or shell that fits over a comforter or duvet insert, like two sheets sewn together on three sides with a comforter slipped inside. Often the comforter will slide around within the duvet, so the entire package will need shaking out to re-distribute. Paired with a really fluffy down insert, this will give you that high end look that screams “jump on me”.

Euro sham – large square pillow cover that measures 26x26, use three across the back next to the headboard

Fitted sheet – bed sheet that covers the mattress and is a pain-in-the-butt to try and fold

Flat sheet – bed sheet that lies over the fitted sheet

Quilt – patterned bed cover composed of two fabric layers with an inside filling

Sham – decorative pillow cover

Sheet set – flat and fitted sheets with a set of pillow cases

Throw – lightweight cover that is similar to a blanket, but smaller in size. Excellent folded at the bottom of the bed to add color or coordinate with other colors in the room.

Skyline Furniture upholstered bed with nail head trim

Gathered dust ruffle, decorative pillows and solid green throw

 Throw and euro pillows from Barbara Barry at BBY, zebra print decorative pillows from ZGallerie

 Does your bedroom need an update?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always love feedback on what my readers (like you) are thinking.